Wednesday, July 9, 2014

What's my GAME Plan?

After reflecting on the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) for my Master’s Class, I felt proficient in many of the standards.  It is my job to keep up on these important standards and make sure they are being implemented in my schools.  With that being said, I chose standards four and five to develop my proficiency in.  Standard four states that I will “promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility” (International Society of Technology in Education, 2009).  The reason I chose this one is that I feel I can always be more proficient in the area of digital citizenship and make sure that I am designing lessons that are teaching and incorporating these skills.  Standard five states that we will “engage in professional growth and leadership” (International Society of Technology in Education, 2009).  We want to teach our students to be life long learners, and it is important for us to do this too.  The digital world is constantly changing and growing, and its regards to education need to be looked at closely to make sure we are preparing our students.  I need to be sure I am knowledgeable in my field so I can help my staff.  This also means being a leader.  This may be the area I need to focus most on.  I don’t really think of myself in a leadership role or as a leader.

Since these are the areas I feel I need to focus on, I have written a GAME plan for these areas.  If you are not familiar with the acronym GAME, let me explain its meaning. GAME stands for setting goals, taking action, monitoring, and evaluating and extending.  Each of these steps helps to guide you in your self-directed learning.  “The GAME plan requires you to think about and take steps to direct your learning process, specifically while learning about technology and how to integrate it into curriculum” (Cennamo et al, 2009, p.3).


1.    Goals – My goal would be to learn more about the curriculum integration of digital citizenship skills as well as exhibiting leadership skills that demonstrate a vision, decision making, community building, and vitality.
2.    Action – I will begin by reading through literature provided by Common Sense Media, the Partnership for 21st Century Skills, and the 21st Century Fluency Project to help better understand the role of digital citizenship in our curriculum.  Each of these sites provides lessons, projects, and units to help embed these skills into the curriculum.  I can utilize these sites to help create new opportunities for my teachers and students.  I will begin reading through a subscription magazine purchased for me called Educational Leadership.  Lastly, I will use the book list provided my Angela Maiers on he website to begin reading text that applies to school leadership to better understand how I can fill that role.
3.    Monitor – I will use these goals as a talking point during my monthly meetings with our district’s CIO.  I will discuss my takeaways from the readings, project creations, and listen to his feedback.  I will reflect upon what I have read and debrief with teachers after a project, lesson, or unit has been completed.
4.    Evaluate – As I evaluate my knowledge level, I will ask myself some important questions.  Are students showing digital citizenship skills without prompt?  Does data show a growth in students understanding of digital citizenship skills?  Do I feel in more confident in my leadership role?  If lessons do not seem to have helped to grow students digital citizenship skills, then we must revisit the lessons and find out what we can do to make it better.  It’s always important to evaluate your journey to know what is working and what is not.


 Although I feel as if I have a very good handle on my field of expertise, there is always room for growth.  This week’s resources have really helped me to understand what I am doing right, or enlighten me in areas I may have been struggling in.  We need to be life-long learners just as we want our kids too, but we must do it in a manner that elicits to best outcome.  This can be done by creating your GAME plan.

References:
 

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
 

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers


4 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    I too use a great deal of technology and felt proficient in many of the standards, but as you stated there is always a need for improvement. I also choose digital citizenship as an area I need to improve upon. I feel that this is an area of great importance and I see teenagers using technology without regard to the implications of their actions. Technology has evolved so quickly that no one has really been taught the consequences and responsibilities. I want to ensure that I not only teach the citizenship of my classroom but of our digital environment as well. I was thinking of incorporating it as part of my back to school citizenship. I feel that eliminating the barrier that the digital world is different then the physical one may help students. What do you think?
    I will also be using www.commonsensemedia.org to help create lessons and teach no only my students, but parents the need for digital citizenship skills. Additionally, I am hoping to pass information on to my peers, so that they might be motivated to teach the topic too!

    Thanks for sharing your GAME plan looks great!
    Kathlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathlyn,
      Thanks! I do agree that we need to eliminate that barrier. The digital world is fully integrated into our everyday life now, some more than others, and teachers need to understand that if we use it effectively in the classroom, we can integrate the digital citizenship skills right into our activities so that they become second nature to the students. If we start these habits early, then bad ones won't be too developed and hard to break later on.

      Nicole

      Delete
  2. Nicole,
    I appreciate your GAME plan. Standard 4 is one that I strive to work with my students and staff also. With the beginning of each school year with new students and the import of new staff it is important to revisit this important standard. After reading your GAME plan I am resolved to also make it a higher priority in the upcoming year. Thanks for the inspiration!
    DaNita Bell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DaNita,
      Glad I could help you out with my post! You are exactly right that this needs to be revisited every year due to new students and staff.

      Nicole

      Delete