Wednesday, March 6, 2013

You Have to Start Somewhere

Welcome to my brand new blog.  I must say that I am an avid follower of many blogs but was always very hesitant to start my own.  Now, as part of my Master's program, I am required to start one.  There's an old proverb that says "The distance is nothing, it's the first step that is difficult".  So here I go making the first step.
I want to start off this blog by sharing some exciting news/  I co-taught with one of my third grade teachers on a project called "I Dream".  this project was created and posted by the website called United Classrooms or UClass.    The project stated "As people around the world celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his dream this month, we want to know what your dream of a better world is".
For the project, we began by reading allowed the story Martin's Big Words.  Students then brainstormed different words that they felt described Dr. King's life and his impact.  They used these words and then created a word cloud image of Dr. King in Tagxedo.
The last steps were uploading this word cloud images to VoiceThread, and then they recorded a voice over of what their dream for a better world was.  The project was posted by the students in our UClass project folder and shared with classrooms around the world.
A panel chose ours as the winner of the lower elementary unit and stated, "Your students' projects were examples of creativity and thoughtfulness".  What a wonderful achievement for them!!




We are featured on the United Classroom's homepage http://uclass.org/, as well as on their blog which can be found at http://blog.uclass.org/2013/02/12/announcing-the-i-have-a-dream-project-winners/


No comments:

Post a Comment