Friday, March 15, 2013

Glogs for Engagement

About four years ago, while attending the WEMTA (Wisconsin Educational Media and Technology Association) Conference, I was introduced to Glogster EDU. Since then I have been using blogs in my teaching.
If you aren't familiar with Glogs or Glogster, let me tell you a bit about it first. Glogs are interactive posters. When making a Glog you can add text, pictures, video, and graphics. What makes it interactive is that you can link any of these items to outside sites.
I have used Glogs a lot for curation purposes for my students. I would create a Glog when beginning to read a new story where background knowledge is needed, while studying a specific topic, or learning about certain holidays. This was a fun, exciting way for students to explore information and engage in activities I had found that were appropriate for them. For some of the exploration activities, we would complete KWL charts as a way to show what we had learned. (Normally I use KWHL charts but the how piece was already completed for them)
Just this week I finished working with fourth graders who were created their own Glogs. Their goal was to research a specific storm or severe weather event. They answered questions using the Big 3 Research Model. The questions addressed defining the storm or event itself and how it's formed, where it could happen, and what could you do to prepare or survive it. Once their research was competed, they then had to share their information on the Glog. We went over the rubric and what the expectations were. The purpose of it was to share their information with others, and remembering to make it look like a "reputable" source. They were given copyright/royalty free websites (morgueFile, Creative Commons, Pixabay, and Icon Bug) where they could gather images and graphics to use on their Glogs.
I always love watching the students begin the creation process of their Glogs. They are so engaged and excited.
I found Glogster EDU to be one of my favorite Web 2.0 Tools. Over the years it has never lost interest or appeal for me. Even when they made it a fee paid service in order to create students under your account, I find it worth the money, as so my teachers. They are always changing, making things more user friendly, and adding different graphics, and walls to keep if it fresh and new. I know this is a tool that I will continue to use for years to come.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Glogster. Can you tell me how intuitive it is for one setting up their Glog? I want to incorporate these things but some seem overwhelming and can become another ball to juggle. Its obvious you recommend Glogster, but can you tell me how much time you spend updating it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was first introduced to Web Tools, I felt overwhelmed at first too. Glogster was my very first step forward.
      The first few times I created a glog, I spent s bit of time creating them. After I became more familiar with how the site works, I can create them pretty quick now. THey have really started to make their site more user friendly and there are a lot of tutorials if you find yourself stuck on something. I think what takes the most time is deciding upon the background and other design features :-)
      The benefit is that I spend no time updating them other than to make sure links still work when I go to use them. For the most part I am linking out to educational sites where I find myself having dead links very little. I have glogs that I have been using for a couple years now and I have made no changes or only added something that I had I had found and thought was better.
      Word of advice, make sure if you register its through edu.glogster.com and not just glogster.com. The edu site is strictly educational so no issues with graphics and content.

      Delete
  2. Ms. Andy,

    It sounds like you are well on your way to integrating technology into your classroom. Do you have an example of a Glogster one of your students created or one that you created? I would love to explore what some of the possibilities might be for using it in an 12th grade economics classroom.

    Greg Thorson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg,
      Here is a link to my project website, specifically to the glogster page. The sublinks towards the bottom of the page show some of the different projects and one page that has a few of my glogs.

      https://sites.google.com/a/janesville.k12.wi.us/project-creations/glogster

      They are mostly embedded into the pages but if you hover your mouse over the Glogster EDU logo, it should give you a choice to view the full one. Hopefully it helps to give you some good ideas. Feel free to ask anything!

      Nicole

      Delete